Saturday, October 4, 2014

Throw the Book at It....

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an obsessive researcher. It gives me a sense of control when things are unknown or out of control. In fact, I'm  SUCH an obsessive researcher, that sometimes when I google things, every useful link is already highlighted in purple because I've already read it. (usually doesn't even stop me from reading it again...) Anyway.... whenever anyone recommends a book on autism, aspergers, ADHD, etc, I usually track it down and read it cover to cover in a matter of days, sometimes hours. I can't get enough information!

Now, some of these books have been downright awful. The autism parent community raves about this one book, for instance, "The Reason I Jump", which was written by a 13-year-old nonverbal boy with autism. I hated it....didn't find it useful...and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Maybe it was more helpful for others... I don't know. 

Anyway, I wanted to share a list of books that I've read and re-read over the last couple of years. They are the ones I have found most helpful, interesting and well-written. 



Quirky Kids: By far my favorite. I wish someone had handed this book to me when B was three years old. Heck, I wish someone had handed this book to my mom when *I* was three years old. (it wasn't written yet... but that's beside the point.) First off, the stories told by the parents in it held SO many "ah-ha! That's a thing!!!" moments for me....  I saw all my kids and myself within these pages. It gives a great overview of ASD, sensory issues and their challenges. Also has some very helpful information on where to turn for help and if you have questions or concerns about your children --  the different public options (Infants & Toddlers programs, for example, which I knew nothing about when B was little, but wish I had), private options for evaluations, what evaluations entail, therapies, etc.  Also emphasizes that sometimes? Quirky really is just quirky, nothing else... and quirky is a-ok. ;)
I picked this one up at the library one day along with a whole stack of books on Asperger's Syndrome. It ended up being the only book that was worth anything from that pile! Like every other Chicken Soup book, this is a collection of positive essays written by parents with children on the autism spectrum. Some essays are more relatable, depending on where your child falls on the spectrum, but it's a great, quick, uplifting read. 



This one I have read about a hundred times over the last 20 years. It's a great book. Good, solid information written by an expert on the topic of AD(H)D .  

This I picked up at the library during another trip along with yet another giant pile of terrible written books about ASD. THIS book, however, is fantastic. It's funny, well-written and has great insights by the author, who didn't figure out until he was an adult that he had Asperger's.  I even convinced my husband to read this one! (we had a great time discussing it.... this is a whole other post. LOL!)
This one was recommended to me by J's  I&T teacher way early on. As soon as I started reading it I immediately recognized completely accurate descriptions of my oldest and youngest sons,  who are at opposite extremes of sensory processing issues. This is another book I wish someone had handed me eight years ago. (!!!!)

This is a companion book to the one above. TONS of great activities to help regulate kids with sensory needs. Here's the kicker... the first time I read through this book, I realized it had SO much in common with a book called "The Mother's Almanac", which is a book my mom always had around when I was little. It was originally published in 1975.... back then, these were activities for ALL kids....The whole thing made me realize that these activities, outside of maybe preschools, are often not common sense, go-to kid activities any longer.... rope ladders, balls, bubbles,  balance beams, obstacle courses,  beanbags....  they are such easy, simple things... and so many have fallen by the wayside for more complicated, often electronic alternatives. (definitely guilty here!)  Anyway, worth a read for lots of parents! Not even just parents with kids who have SPD!


Whether you have ASD kids or not, Temple Grandin is just flat-out fascinating. (If you haven't watched her movie, I think it's on Netflix. Check it out!)  In the book, She gives great insights into what it's like to to have an autistic brain.  Just really, really, good, interesting stuff. You can also look up her interviews on YouTube.  Her story is amazing! 


I'll try to add to this list in the future... always looking for new good reads! If you have a book to recommend, leave a comment! I'd love to check it out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment