Tuesday, May 6, 2014


I had a neat chance encounter with a second grade teacher at the boys' school this afternoon.

She had stopped to ask J what was he was playing on my iPhone and we joked about kids and technology....three-year-olds knowing how to text... that sort of thing.  I told her how J's infants and toddlers teacher once remarked how she sees all the time how these little ones often have all this dexterity to operate iPhones and iPads, but not the ability to do old-fashioned things like peg puzzles.   (in his defense, J can do both these days....  LOL... but you get the point...)

It was an off-handed comment, but after that, she ended up asking me why he was with I&T.

In my head I was thinking, "How much time do you have, lady?"

So I started with the short version, which I always give to people who I'm not sure are actually interested in talking about it. (because, like most parents in my shoes, I can talk at great length on this topic if you open the door....).  She kept asking me more and more questions, so I decided she must actually want to know, and I ended up giving her the long version.

She was FASCINATED.... talked about how she sees kids like him all the time in her classes who can't qualify for services because their social issues aren't "educationally impactful" (this is truth... we are VERY lucky J qualified!) She talked about how many times she has gone to bat for a kid she KNOWS is on the spectrum but no one else sees it and even parents are in denial. She said how great it was that he was getting help now and how much it will benefit him once he gets to elementary school.

(YES! Someone who gets it!)

And then? Get this... I gave my standard line about how yeah, hopefully all this intervention will prepare him well for elementary school  I'm sure he'll probably do fine once he gets there... yada yada yada....(I always say this because at this point in the conversation, usually people are looking at me with that expression that says: "What are you talking about? He's, like, talking and stuff,  and he LOOKS fine....and also, I would please like to end this conversation now because you have told me more than I really wanted to know in the first place.... " ) Then they usually nod and they smile and agree with me and we both go our separate ways or go back to awkwardly talking about the weather.

But do you want to know what she said to me?! Do you know?! Do you? Do you?! I know you do! (or should we just go back to talking about the weather? I'm not a great judge of these things...)

She said, "Well, but he might NOT do okay in all ways when he gets here...."

Hello, truth.  There you go. Just like that.

And without missing a beat, she went on to tell me about the kids she sees who struggle with the social stuff and what she tries to do to help when she notices that sort of thing in a child in her class.

(She REALLY gets it!)

We talked more about how struggles with peer interaction could be a big deal and yes, impact a child's education.  She said I actually gave her some great ideas for things to say when she goes to team meetings to help qualify these kids for services who wouldn't otherwise get them.

Did you hear that? I taught a teacher something!

(And also? SHE GETS IT!)

It was a great conversation that included lots more insights on her part that I can't really summarize here and not have this be a novel.

It's just always nice to talk to someone who has a genuine interest in a topic that has become a huge part of our lives. I'm so glad she was put in my path today!

1 comment:

  1. My son is one who I have been told his ASD does not seem to impact him educationally! Exactly like you said. So now I have to fight for him and get an IEP in place before he starts school! And I totally relate with people saying things like, I'm sure he will be fine....based on all their knowledge of him! (Sarcasm) :)

    ReplyDelete